Friday, July 12, 2013

Oh goodie! A fixed target!

I found this on LibraryThing just now. Apparently The Millions perpetrated this list of the Best American Novels. Here are my responses:

1. Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain -- yeah sure, okay, whatevs
2. The Ambassadors - Henry James -- no, for realz?! James'd be horrified. Murrikin? HIM?
3. Corregidora - Gayl Jones -- who? What? Where was I that day? Who's Gayl and why should I read something about the Battle of Corregidor that's misspelled by an author who's name looks misspelled?
4. The Godfather - Mario Puzo -- *BWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAA*
5. Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison -- boring, repetitious twaddle
6. The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton -- agreed
7. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov -- agreed
8. The Making of Americans - Gertrude Stein -- *shocked silence* not even pretentious feminist Womyn's Studies wimmin read this ridiculous poseuese's hemidemiseminovel anymore!
9. Moby Dick - Herman Melville -- agreed

So that's 1/3 I could see putting forward to representing Murrikin letters to the world. [To Kill A Mockingbird] for sure and certain should be on the list. I've never read [Lonesome Dove]...should I? And, one wonders, why NINE instead of TEN?

What would you add? What would you keep? Inquiring minds want to know!

2 comments:

  1. I have the HG Wells Invisible Man to read soon. I do think the Godfather was pretty epic. Haven't heard of House of Mirth or The Making of Americans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't sprain anything finding THE MAKING OF AMERICANS. It's Ralph Ellison's book, not Wells's book, on the list.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.