LIVING, TOGETHER: Reimagining Community in the Age of Disconnection
SAMANTHA PAIGE ROSEN (editor)
Beacon Press (non-affiliate Bookshop.org link)
$13.99 ebook, available now
Rating: 4.25* of five
The Publisher Says: 21 writers and organizers on found family, hacking adulthood, and other lessons communal living can teach us about the future of housing in America
Featuring Kristen Arnett, Rhaina Cohen, Kim Stanley Robinson, and more
At age 29, when Samantha Paige Rosen made an unexpected move back home, she was surprised to find how much she loved living with her parents again. Inspired and curious, she began searching for others who had redefined home and community.
The essays and Q&As in Living, Together are about carving out spaces of communal connection and joy in our 3-bed, 2-bath starter home culture. Although they recount life at different stages and in different regions, these stories showcase the delights and tradeoffs of more dynamic shapes of “home.” AAcross sections on family, intentional community, and what lies beyond housing, readers will hear from voices like:
I RECEIVED A DRC FROM THE PUBLISHER VIA EDELWEISS+. THANK YOU.
My Review: I live alone. I have always loved living alone. Company suits me only when I can't hear, see, or smell them (smokers need to be treated for their addiction!) when I don't want to. (Which is almost always.) However, age and disability require I compromise by living in congregate care so the things I genuinely can no longer do but that need doing are still done.
Because I live in New York City, that is not an impossible dream, and I wake up each and every day happy and comfortable...and very aware of my extreme good fortune.
So there's my essay for this collection of them on the topic of living in and among others. It is a fascinating topic, living arrangements always are. The essays within the collection are going to appeal in varying degrees. Different writers approach the topic differently, and sometimes unexpectedly based on their larger bodies of work.
I'm convinced the topic of housing all of us is never going to be less than contentious. Capitalism's deep, invasive weed roots are going to wrap around everyone involved in its systems' minds. I hope reading this collection of essays will convince a few to stand outside the building their lives have been spent within to take a fresh, sunlit view of the needs, the wants, and the realities of fair, just, reasonable access to housing.
*snort* Not bloody likely in a world where healthcare is rationed by money, but a boy can dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.