Saturday, August 1, 2026

JULY 2026 IN REVIEW & August 2026 is #WITMonth

Amplifying voices: celebrating women in translation month | ProZ.com, via LinkedIn
JULY IN REVIEW

A month of wonders was had by all. Forty-one reviews written, fifty-three DRCs received; twenty-three of those reviewed in their publication month. That's 43%! Could not be happier with that. Of the remaining eighteen reviews, one was a five-star review of a 2020 novel from New Vessel Press: The Piano Student by Lea Singer, translated from German by Elisabeth Lauffer. I five-starred Beginning Middle End by Valeria Luiselli, and all but five-starred Ada by Mark Haber; Unsayable: A Life in Writing by Michael Cunningham; The Sixth Nik by Pulitzer-winner Daniel Kraus; Event Horizon by [[Balsam Karam]]; and shockingly Grief Eater, lesbian zombie story by [[Emma Osborne]].

What a month! That's better than some years (notably 2018, only 65 reviews blogged the whole year)! Wile there were disappointments, they weren't Biblical disasters like The Dove and the Dragon: A Cultural History of the Apocalypse. *shudder*

On to August, with a high heart and a happy soul. Women in Translation Month is an August staple on my blog. Entries start in 2014. I'm always delighted to tell all y'all about this twelve-year tradition of shouting out the incredibly broad and wildly varied works by, about, and translated from every language and country I can think of, by women. Working in multiple languages to represent as accurately as possible the artistry of another person for the reading joy Anglophone readers is truly an act of the greatest generosity and highest cultural importance. Open Letter Books' site says, "Women in Translation Month is always an exciting time to discover, read, discuss, and celebrate books by women from around the world. It was created by Meytal Radzinski back in 2014, and has since spawned numerous articles, events, and even the Warwick Prize for Women in Translation." And WomenInTranslation.org, the Mothership if you will, says it most authoritatively:
"WITMonth—aka Women in Translation Month—is an annual celebration of women writers from around the world, writing in languages other than English. Started by Meytal Radzinski in 2014, WITMonth has grown to become a staple of the online literary community, as well as a prominent presence in independent bookstores around the world. Every August, readers from all continents around the world (except Antarctica, but we’ll get those penguins yet!) gather in spirit (and sometimes in person) to read, review, and discuss works by women writers in translation. The idea is to spread the word about the Women in Translation project at large, and promote individual women writers in translation specifically. Follow #WITMonth on Twitter, Instagram, Booktube, and across the world!" I'm planning to write at least thirty-one full reviews of works translated by women this month. Even if they're translating men's writing. (I've been told before that this is "not in the spirit of the celebration" and I'm "diluting the intended impact of the hashtag," both of which snarky stupidities I have very consciously and intentionally ignored. This will not change.)

As an act of celebration I'm including a few special discounts I know publishers are offering on parts of their lists below with all the relevant details and the links to their sites. I'll add to these links as and when I come across more:

SEVEN STORIESThrough the end of August 2026, take 25% off all currently available translated books by women authors! Please note that all forthcoming books are available for preorder at 10% off. https://sevenstories.com/blogs/385-celebrate-women-in-translation-month-2026

TRANSIT BOOKS 30% off all titles by women in translation through the end of August with the discount code WITMONTH. https://www.transitbooks.org/postscript/women-in-translation-month

OPEN LETTER BOOKS 40% discount on all Open Letter print titles written by women, along with any book translated by a woman, for the whole month of August. Discount applied automatically at checkout. https://www.openletterbooks.org/collections/women-in-translation-month

COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY PRESS Use coupon code WITM at checkout to save 20% on your purchase. https://cup.columbia.edu/promotions/women-in-translation-month/women-in-translation-booklist/*
More, I hope, to come below:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.