Thursday, September 24, 2026

A COMPLEMENT OF SCOUNDRELS, debut (on several levels) revenge thriller with magical trimmings


A COMPLEMENT OF SCOUNDRELS
S.V. LOCKWOOD

Bindery Books | Kist Reads (non-affiliate Bookshop.org link)
$9.99 ebook, available now

Rating: 4.75* of five

The Publisher Says: There are many ways to bring down the man who betrayed you—and Myria Cadessa has thought of them all.

Cracking the Elysius Vault should’ve made Myria the richest thief in all Carintheum. Instead, it shattered her crew and left her rotting in jail while her double-crossing master walked away with everything that should’ve been hers.

But now she’s out, and it’s time to settle the score. Reunite her crew? A pleasure. Steal back everything her erstwhile leader took? And then some. She’ll just need to trick the king of all tricksters, with the law on her heels, and a troublesome new ally whose loyalties seem as conflicted as his feelings for Myria. It’s the most audacious heist she’s ever attempted, but she failed her crew once. This time, she’ll make it right—at any cost.

A Complement of Scoundrels is a bold, raucous journey through the underbelly of an empire where the devil’s rules reign, and morality, loyalty, and friendship are values few can afford. But where there’s a wit, there’s a way—and Myria has plenty of that.

I RECEIVED A DRC FROM THE PUBLISHER VIA NETGALLEY. THANK YOU.

My Review
: Woman-led cast in The Count of Monte Cristo, among thieves in *London/Oxford, with less romantic pining. I absolutely co-sign each of these changes as an improvement.

Well? What're you waiting for? Go buy one.

Look, I'm annoyed enough that I can't in good conscience deliver the scathing insult-ridden takedown I threatened that guy Kist with, and there's still eyes looking at me like I should say something else only nice. Get him to restart weekly reading updates on YouTube instead of paywalled and we'll talk.

Yeah, yeah, not the author's fault blahblahblah. You want nice? Go find somebody nice, get them to tell you about Author Lockwood's way with banter that takes in-jokes between strangers and gives us chuckles as well as a sharper picture of the speaker's inner workings.

The world of Carintheum is given inner workings as well, and as deftly and eloquently. I'm pretty fussy about magic systems; I'm not naturally drawn to reading about magic because it doesn't exist, like gawd or vampires or mpreg. It's got to be presented, as it is here, in a way that lets me suspend disbelief; Myria's experience of the magic she and her partners in crime encounter a the very beginning of the book totally convinced me this was well thought out, so I relaxed right away. It was trust well placed because I never had any reason to revisit my decision to believe this was in-universe plausible stuff happening. It's a real pleasure to encounter an author whose assured and enjoyable presentation of prose could disarm my long-ago-acquired suspiciousness so fast.

The initial conditions of Myria's life as we join her set the other facet of worldbuilding, the society in which the magic is used, as a sort of pre-Victorian time starting industrialization...just not quite as we did in our rather fallen world. Magic as a harvestable, refineable resource capable of being extracted led to some very interesting consequences indeed...Myria's unique relationship to the resource is a very enjoyably used take on an old fantasy trope, the magically deprived in a magical society. It also explains the source of her betrayal that would otherwise have made me feel a bit cheated, so very well done indeed Author Lockwood for seeing a problem and turning it into an advantage.

The scoobygroup Myria forms also suffer deprivation on account of her betrayal on top of losing trust in her. It's the reason this revenge plot, very much a thriller wearing lace cuffs and expensive shoes, is so firmly rooted in the complex social and societal webbing Author Lockwood presents. The depth of field means the machinations and the interrelationships don't ever flatten out into that dreadful second-rate diagrammed-sentence feeling padding so very common when an author isn't given time, or space on the page, or guidance in choices, to fully realize the basis of their world and its social network. Author Lockwood was very well served in this regard.

So what happened to that vanished quarter star? I'll tell you, old girl: the catchphrasiness, the very real and human tendency of people to settle into mannerisms, wears thin in a book. It's great when the characters themselves bicker and banter about it, as Leo and Myria do from the very start. But reading a novel is being married, deeply in the hip pocket of the characters without the IRL ability to pat the partner's pate just a touch too hard while saying "oh, very amusing, dear," thus earning a respite from the actually cute and endearing behavior that's annoying you right then. I also felt a case of quibbles coming on with Myria's found-family dynamics resolving neatly...having the crew's emotional hurts coming up in different ways at different times would be more like establishing the firm intent to return to Carintheum as I feel positive is the intent in this author's (and more than likely publisher's) mind.

I can't offer a perfect score but I can most certainly see Author Lockwood's ability to wring one out of me is definitely there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.