Wednesday, September 16, 2026

HALF LIGHT, subcontinental queerness interrogated pre-decriminalization


HALF LIGHT
MAHESH RAO

Pushkin Press (non-affiliate Bookshop.org link)
$14.99 ebook, available now

Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: An affair between two men in India changes the course of both their lives forever in this searing queer love story about shame, hope, and identity.

“Rao sheds light without judgement…Thoughtful, tender storytelling at its finest.” —Marie Claire


High up in the misty mountains of Darjeeling, a landslide cuts off a crumbling hillside hotel from the outside world. Trapped together with other guests and staff, two men begin to exchange lingering glances. For Neville, a charismatic student, such encounters are nothing new—urgent kisses in stairwells, fleeting encounters in parked cars. But for Pavan, a shy hotel employee accustomed to hiding in plain sight, their growing connection threatens to upend the careful life he has built in secrecy.

Years later, the men meet again by chance, this time surrounded by the towering skyscrapers and ghostly smog of Mumbai. Neville is now a restless graduate, trying to find his footing in the city. Pavan has long since fled the hills and begun a new life for himself working in a luxurious city hotel. As their renewed flirtation quickly turns fraught, long-buried secrets from their shared past threaten to tumble into the light.

Set on the cusp of India's landmark ruling to decriminalize homosexuality, Half Light is an atmospheric, elegantly wry story of outlawed desire and the fragile hope for a life beyond concealment. From literary powerhouse Mahesh Rao, this tender exploration of the struggle for acceptance and understanding will appeal to readers of Douglas Stuart and Tom Crewe.

I RECEIVED A DRC FROM THE PUBLISHER VIA EDELWEISS+. THANK YOU.

My Review
: In this year of our lord twenty-twenty six, the World has decided to valorize the ineffable experience of Yearning. Longing purposefully for someone, usually in its most effective iterations someone forbidden to you. I liked Heated Rivalry the book; I adored Heated Rivalry the TV series, because it yearned more obviously for me to invest in, cry over, relate to than in the text version.

I think this story would be even better filmed, too. Its couple aren't as charismatic, or even as much of a couple, as Shane and Ilya; but they have similarly disparate beginnings. Pavan is lower in class, and from a national minority:
๐๐š๐ฏ๐š๐ง ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ๐œ๐ž๐ ๐ก๐ข๐ฆ๐ฌ๐ž๐ฅ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ค ๐š๐›๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฐ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ก๐ž ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ฎ๐ง๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ซ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐š๐ฅ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐›๐จ๐ฒ. ๐€๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž, ๐ก๐ž ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ญ๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฆ๐š๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐š๐ข๐ง ๐š ๐ฉ๐ซ๐จ๐ญ๐ž๐œ๐ญ๐ข๐ฏ๐ž ๐ž๐ช๐ฎ๐ข๐ฅ๐ข๐›๐ซ๐ข๐ฎ๐ฆ ๐›๐ž๐ญ๐ฐ๐ž๐ž๐ง ๐š๐ฅ๐จ๐จ๐Ÿ๐ง๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ข๐ง๐ฏ๐จ๐ฅ๐ฏ๐ž๐ฆ๐ž๐ง๐ญ. ๐‡๐ž ๐ค๐ง๐ž๐ฐ ๐›๐จ๐๐ข๐ž๐ฌ ๐ ๐š๐ฏ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ ๐š๐ฆ๐ž ๐š๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ ๐ฌ๐จ ๐ก๐ž ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฅ๐ข๐œ๐ž๐ ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ฆ๐›๐ฌ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ž๐ฑ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ข๐จ๐ง๐ฌ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐ก๐ž ๐œ๐จ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ ๐ซ๐ž๐ฆ๐ž๐ฆ๐›๐ž๐ซ. ๐€๐ญ ๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐จ๐จ๐ฅ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐จ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐œ๐ก๐ข๐ฅ๐๐ซ๐ž๐ง ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ง๐ž๐ž๐๐ฅ๐ž๐ ๐ก๐ข๐ฆ ๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐จ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐จ๐ง๐ฌ: ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ซ๐ž๐š๐๐›๐š๐ซ๐ž ๐ก๐š๐ง๐-๐ฆ๐ž-๐๐จ๐ฐ๐ง๐ฌ ๐ก๐ž ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ž, ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐Ÿ๐š๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ'๐ฌ ๐›๐ซ๐š๐ฐ๐ฅ๐ฌ, ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ซ๐š๐ฆ๐›๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ ๐ซ๐š๐ง๐๐ฆ๐จ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐š๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐ก๐ž ๐ฐ๐จ๐ฎ๐ง๐ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ ๐ญ๐ก๐ซ๐จ๐ฎ๐ ๐ก ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฏ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ๐š๐ ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฐ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฆ๐ข๐ง๐. ๐‡๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐จ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ข๐ฏ๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐Ÿ๐ž๐š๐ซ๐ฌ ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ ๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ฎ๐ง๐๐ž๐ญ๐ž๐œ๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ก๐ž ๐ž๐ฑ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐œ๐จ๐ง๐œ๐ž๐š๐ฅ๐ฆ๐ž๐ง๐ญ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐š ๐ฆ๐ข๐ซ๐š๐œ๐ฅ๐ž.
...and Neville is far better educated and insulated from Pavan's existential risks in acting on his gayness, in pre-decriminalization times, by being richer. Not that much happens in the story but they do a lot of soul-searching in gorgeously evoked scenery. They are existing as gay in a country with even farther to go towards QUILTBAG equality than the US.

It makes their interest in each other more difficult, of course, and it sharpens their desire to be in relationship. It's very much a story that foregrounds their interiority, which makes me feel the Yearn all the more. It is not a romance, though, don't hear me tell you that! It's a story of two gay guys who notice each other and wonder, separately, if it's even okay to yearn for the lovingkindness they see and can imagine in each other. Neville is able to shut down the desire for more by seeking casual sex with nobody-bodies. Pavan is more constrained in his sexual expression without the money and class position; their ideas of each other are thus similar: I can't get what I want but I want what I thought I had with him.

It's powerful, the yearning, it's cruel in the extreme to criminalize a person's identity over something as trivial as sexuality, and Author Rao doesn't let us forget the men's struggles are not simple or internally resolvable. I'll be honest: I didn't like either man much. I was never rooting for them to get past their fears and be together. I was fully invested in their yearning, for a just and fair world, for a life they could feel validated them as men, for a way to seek someone who loves them for themselves and they might love in return. Their differing repressive forces are equally unfair. Their ultimate fates aren't vouchsafed to us, exactly, but decriminalization does push Pavan into making some steps into a future under his control. Neville is a rich boy from start to finish, not inclined to be otherwise, so his course is merely more openly itself.

I had to take a star off the beautifully evocative rale set in vividly realized places because the men were so constructed as to make their didactic positions as catalysts for Pavan's growth and Neville's stasis their only real relationship. It makes the experience of reading Neville's arc feel as though I was voyeurizing vapidity. On the whole, though, I found so much enjoyment in the settings and societal developments feeling so real to me that I hope you'll send a copy to your local filmmaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.