Pages
- Home
- Mystery Series
- Bizarro, Fantasy & SF
- QUILTBAG...all genres
- Kindle Originals...all genres
- Politics & Social Issues
- Thrillers & True Crime
- Young Adult Books
- Poetry, Classics, Essays, Non-Fiction
- Science, Dinosaurs & Environmental Issues
- Literary Fiction & Short Story Collections
- Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Books & True Blood
- Books About Books, Authors & Biblioholism
Monday, September 21, 2026
EDEN AT DAWN, queer love between Palestinian men...nominated for the National Book Award for Translated Literature
EDEN AT DAWN
KARIM KATTAN (tr. Jeffrey Zuckerman)
Restless Books (non-affiliate Bookshop.org link)
$9.99 ebook, preorder now for delivery 22 September 2026
On the 2026 Longlist for the National Book Award for Translated Literature
Rating: 4.5* of five
The Publisher Says: A heart-wrenching love story between two young Palestinian men in a land swept by sandstorms, burdened by occupation, and haunted by spirits.
In the labyrinthine city of Jerusalem, where poets woo their lovers with tales of jinns, lions, and warriors, Isaac and Gabriel pass in the streets, unaware of one another until a fifty-day wind brings enough sand to blot out the heavens. From their first meeting, desire blooms, hesitates, withdraws, and returns in a heady romance recounted by the sky itself, who cranes past rooftops and through windows to glimpse the pair. Defying checkpoints, desert squalls, and blazing heat, Gabriel and Isaac embark on a road trip through Jericho and past the Dead Sea to a storied village in the West Bank—a daring act in a divided country.
Lyrical and languorous, shattering and profound, Eden at Dawn is a feast of love in the midst of war. With this North American debut, lauded author Karim Kattan proves that storytelling is the ultimate act of devotion.
I RECEIVED A DRC FROM THE PUBLISHER VIA EDELWEISS+. THANK YOU.
My Review: As omniscient narrators go, it'd be quite a feat to go bigger than the actual sky itself. I'm impressed at the bold claim Author Kattan stakes with that choice. "I'm telling you about 'forbidden love' from the one PoV that literally everyone on Earth cannot escape from, that sees literally ALL from one or another angle."
I love that the sky sees all, but doesn't always catch little details, like who someone is based on what they look like. Perfect...omniscient, inattentive, fallible, so we-the-reader are never spoonfed too much of the story.
Grace notes like this abound but the entire story centers love between men who live on a patch of Earth where their essential selves are rejected by some people all of the time and all people some of the time...Palestinian, male, queer...SOMEone is mad at you 100% of the time. Love for a man is BAD in this motherland of two religions that shriek their LOVE for ALL MANKIND out of mouths stained red with the blood of the men they've ripped the throats out of for daring to speak their love for each other.
Isaac and Gabriel (you can look up the cultural relevance of choosing those two names yourselves) speak to each other in...heightened...language. They're hella eloquent and very willing to put it on display at the drop of their briefs. A lot of the discussion of their love and their plight taking place in this supernatural, seemingly eternal khamsin felt on-the-nose. A sad truth is, the more eloquent about love, being in love (the genitive case of the verb), the characters wax, the more...artificial...this external obscuration feels. It started out with this being the sky's omniscience failing, but became a labored device as its qualities were belabored.
I was charmed and entertained by the read, I genuinely wanted Gabriel and Isaac to strengthen their loving bond. It was very much about the feels, the emotional frisson, the men's illusions of Love, but that's how the first fifty days of every love affair I've ever had felt, too. I'm sure the read will come across as passionate, fervent, to Anglophones, which is certainly how it ought to be received. I suspect, based on long acquaintance, that there was a great musicality in the original French; I do not know how to explain it better than to say that I heard ringing church bells in the background as I read.
It is a beautiful way to feel, being in love; Love feels marvelous...full of and creating simultaneously marvels, its a drug so potent that it convinces you others will feel its power and accede to Love's demands, willingly.
I think my readers will all be old and scarred enough to know what Life does to love.
But we go back, but we go on, but we love and Love by this means conquer (us) All.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.